Saturday, May 16, 2009

Hmmmmm, Bacon


As a kid, staying with Amma was like being wrapped in a warm hug. No one else showered such constant affection and attention on us. In her eyes we could do no wrong and what kid does not love that! Amma was even able to tame the scariness of Grandpa Alliston.

Their house was so different from our house and the Head households. It smelled different, it looked different (is it my imagination or was there plastic on some of the furniture?) and it was filled with what seemed to be exotic and unusual objects.

One of the things that Amma did well was feed us everything that we were not allowed to eat at home. The details are a bit fuzzy but one thing I remember clearly are the breakfasts. After being allowed to sleep as long as we wanted, Amma would let us have whatever we wanted for breakfast which was a strong contrast from the healthy eating that was routine at home.

I believe that Janeen was taken with the sugary cereals that would never be found in our cupboards. As for me, I was hooked on bacon sandwiches. Three pieces of buttered toast layered with a few pieces of bacon inbetween. No egg, no lettuce, no tomato – just bacon (!?!?!?). How I came up with this for breakfast I will never know but I thought they were delicious and I was allowed to have them every day!

I am sure that a daily bacon sandwich would not pass muster today as far as child nutrition goes. I am also sure that my mom cringed when she saw what we were eating but held her tongue and let Amma spoil us. I don’t know why these sandwiches were so good. I think that it is mostly because there is something special about being spoiled as a kid and being showered with unconditional love. All I know is that although I have never had a plain bacon sandwich since and will probably never have one again, my stomach is growling at the memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment